Vrbnik on the Island of Krk
You just have to see Vrbnik! Vrbnik is situated on the east coast of the island of Krk in Kvarner Bay. The old town settled above the sea is really enchanting. This ancient, stone-built town, that appears to be emerging from the sea and immersing into the blue sky above it, was built in harmony with nature....Vrbnik has always been a place ideal for artists. Its beauty that inspires can be seen in hidden corners and unexpected places and many find an inspiration for their artistic achievements here. Vrbnik is known worldwide for its exeptional Glagolitic cultural heritage. Glagolitic script is the oldest Croatian script dating from 9th century AD and it is very significant that one quarter of all preserved glagolitic manuscripts are from Vrbnik. Vrbnik is also widely known by its autochtonous sort of wine grape called Vrbnička žlahtina. You can try that well known dry white wine, as other Krk specialties in one of numerous wine-cellars / taverns (konoba) and restaurants in Vrbnik. Vrbnik has around 1000 inhabitants during winter period, and around 2000 inhabitants in summer. Vrbnik is the right choice for all who do not prefere mass-tourism, but are in search of original Mediterranean charm. The one who experiences Vrbnik once, always comes back... Find out why!
Short notes on Vrbnik's history:
Vrbnik is one of the oldest settlements on the island. Its close area was inhabited in prehistory - the earliest archaeological artefacts found in Vrbnik's vicinity can be dated as early as 4000 years B.C. (Neolithic Age). Just opposite of Vrbnik,on a hill-top overlooking Vrbnik's harbour from north, are remains of a Bronze Age settlement (1200 y.B.C.) whose thick dry-stone walls can still be seen. There is also material evidence of Liburni tribe (Iron Age) and Romans living in Vrbnik area. Many ruins of small churches and chapels can be seen in and around Vrbnik, some of them more than 1000 years old. Vrbnik was first mentioned by that name in „Deed of Donation of Glorious Dragoslav“ dating from 1100.y.A.D. In 1388.y.A.D. Vrbnik got its Statute, a very important source of knowledge in Medieval law and also a splendid testimony on high civilisation level of the town in that period. Vrbnik is closely bonded with Frankopan family- princes of Krk who played a significant role in history of Krk and Croatia. It is said that they called their possessions in and around Vrbnik their patrimony, which may imply their Vrbnik origine.
Beaches & swimming in Vrbnik
Enjoy the crystal clear sea, the abbundance of naturally formed pebble beaches and hidden coves.
Under the link Active vacation you will find more info about beaches in Vrbnik.
Sights in Vrbnik:
• the parish church of Assumption of the Virgin Mary with its very interesting painted ceiling and lovely Gothic chapel of Rosary.
• the parish church bell-tower and its adjoining object in which are located Museum of Visual Identity of Vrbnik, Lapidarium and collection of archeological artifacts and sacral paintings.
• in former princes palace on old town square – Placa – are located Vitezić family Library, an interesting hometown collection and a reconstruction of Renaissance printing machine. Did you know that first Croatian printer, Blaž Baromić, was from Vrbnik?
• a street that goes between the parish church and bell-tower will bring you to belvedere with a beautiful view on mainland, and if you continue walking down Pod Keštel street, you can see remains of town wall and tower and also continue enjoying in magnificent view of the sea and the mainland.
• you can also check whether you are slim enough to pass through Klančić - a passage often said to be the narrowest street in the world...
Events in Vrbnik:
Many events are given in summertime on old town square Placa and on Škujica square – concerts, presentations, literary evenings, folklore festivals.... There are several art galleries in the old town in which interesting exibitions are organized during summer. During summer you can dance along with live music band on Škujica square.
• On 24th of June there is festivity called Ivanja, St.John the Baptist's Day in Vrbnik – the town celebrates its protector St. John the Baptist. It is a great opportunity for attending a forenoon mass in parrish church, an especially festive mass in old Slavic language. In the evening a big festivity is held on Škujica square – welcome!
• We recommend to all music lovers to visit Vrbnik 's parish church on Great Friday. On that day a confraternity called Kapari (capers), which has been active from 14th century AD, sings fascinating chants that are qualified as invaluable Croatian passion heritage.
• Wine days are held on last weekend in August. It is an opportunity for tasting not only varieties of Vrbnička žlahtina wine made by all wine producers with certificates from Vrbnik, but also for tasting chosen wines and delicacies from other Croatian regions that take part in this event. We recommend this event by all means!?
Excursions & surroundings:
The location of Vrbnik on the Island of Krk allows You to reach all the major places on the Island in 20 minutes drive only. That`s why Vrbnik is an ideal starting point for your discovery excursions on the Island of Krk. We have prepared for you a wide choice of excursions by boat and by bus in order to experience and explore our Island and its surroundings.
360º panorama - virtual tour of Vrbnik
We invite you to take a virtual tour of Vrbnik - Here you will find interactive 360° panoramic photos of Vrbnik here.
Private accommodation in Vrbnik
We prepared for you a wide selection of apartments in private accommodation in Vrbnik on the Island of Krk! Welcome!
Service info Vrbnik
You can download service info about Vrbnik and town map below.